fbpx Selling Property in Canada As a Non Resident
Vancouver: 604-714-3600
Burnaby: 604-421-2591
Surrey: 604-538-1611
Abbotsford: 604-557-5750

Are You Selling Property in Canada As a Non-Resident?

Are You Selling Property in Canada As a Non-Resident?

Are You Selling Property in Canada As a Non-Resident?
25 Sep 2015
Written by: editor

Written by: Dagmar Zanic, CPA, CA

With a heavy heart it is now time for you, a non-resident, to sell your property in Canada.

Whether you need to sell a rental property or your family’s cottage beside a beautiful Canadian lake, you may think that negotiating a good price will be the hardest part, but in fact, your troubles may have only just begun!

Selling Property and Capital Gains Tax for Non-Residents

A non-resident selling property in Canada must notify the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) of the disposition, either before the sale or within 10 days after the sale.

This disposition notification is usually done by filing the Forms T2062 and/or T2062A and paying tax on any gain or income realized.

After CRA reviews the disposition notice and supporting documents, and receives the tax payment, it will issue a Certificate of Compliance to the vendor, a copy of which is then forwarded to the purchaser.

If the purchaser does not receive the Certificate, they are required to remit 25 percent – sometimes up to 50 percent – of gross sale proceeds to CRA within 30 days of the acquisition.

The purchaser is then entitled to deduct this amount from the purchase price.

The tax payment will be credited to the non-resident’s account. Since it does not represent the non-resident’s final tax liability, any excess can be refunded to the non-resident when they file a Canadian income tax return to report the disposition.

The whole process can take a very long time – often many months.

The non-resident’s failure to notify CRA of the disposition will result in penalties of up to $2,500.

As well, a Canadian purchaser could be liable for taxes up to 50 percent of the purchase price if they and the non-resident vendor do not comply with the reporting and withholding requirements.

These are onerous filing requirements. If you need help navigating them, contact one of our experienced tax specialists at Manning Elliott LLP for professional tax advice.

The above content is believed to be accurate as of the date of posting. Tax laws are complex and are subject to frequent changes. Professional advice should be sought before implementing any tax planning. Manning Elliott LLP cannot accept any liability for the tax consequences that may result from acting based on the information contained therein.


Loved your article. Very informative.

If you purchased a house in BC Canada as a none landed immigrant and lived in at for 17 years used it as your primary. Did not have any Canadian income did not work in Canada Now I am selling the in in BC ( which is my primary home ) and returning back to Europe. What will I be taxed on I would appreciate your help

My daughter who is non-resident inherit my principal residence. Do my daughter needs to pay tax to CRA ?

I am dual-citizen, born & worked in Canada to 1990 prior to moving to California. I retained my then primary residence which has been vacant for family use since 1997. My grandson will be resident in the property.
• I purchased the property November 1989,
• My primary residence to April 1990, rented 1990 to 1995,
• My son’s residence from October 1995 to February 1997,
• Home remained vacant since February 1997 for family use only.

• I understand and what is the time line/if any, for a family member living in the property to take advantage of omitting tax payable on sale in the event I decide to sell after grandson vacates property?
• Do you have a federal, provincial, municipal document or document outlining these guidelines?
Doug Balog


I am a dual citizen of Canada and the US currently living in the US with US residency. I am planning to sell my house and am wondering if I should move back to Canada to be a resident during the sale of my house? Is there an advantage of being a Canadian resident while selling Canadian property?

Thank you,

What do you need to do to become a resident again, before selling your house, so that you do not pay captial gains tax?

Hey Pete,

Thank you for the comment. To direct you to the appropriate member of our professional staff, please submit your request via our contact web form, found here: http://www.manningelliott.com/contact-us.html 

Thank you!

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Contact Us